I know, I know, everyone is wondering when is this Minnesota weather going to change?!
At this point, I truly believe, we deserve the BEST summer ever! I also truly believe you want your lush, green gardens and lawn NOW – but, WAIT! I don’t want you to go wasting any money on throwing down seed for it all to be washed away or plant your annuals for them to die over night of frost! So, here are a few pointer so you don’t waste your time or money:
1. Wait just a couple of weeks to put that seed down – the soil temperature needs to warm up a little bit for the seed and water to absorb and take affect. We need at least a week of warm days to bring those temps up.
2. Wait to plant your annuals or perennials until you see a future forecast of above freezing temps at night.
3. Now is a good time to cut back perennials – like grasses that you may have not gotten to last fall.
4. Don’t cut back anything that may have a bud on it, wait until it’s done flowering to do so.
5. If you haven’t done so already – CALL your landscape professional NOW if you are considering any work you would like completed this summer. Schedules are filling up fast due to the late spring!
6. The hot trends we are seeing this year are outdoor kitchens & fireplaces/fire pits. Just something to think about when you are looking for ideas for your yard.